Sunday 1 February 2015

Hopping Around

Another water on the Warwick & District AS book today. Hopyards was the venue and it was my first visit there since summer 2009.

It's a venue I fished quite a bit over a few years, due to its easy access and high volume of comfortable pegs. Roach used to be the mainstay and I had many a happy session putting a bag of redfins together on the pole or stick.


I wasn't actually sure where I'd fish, but as it was pretty much on the way to my other option, I dropped in for a look. The bitterly cold wind I felt in the car park was totally shielded when I reached the river. That made my mind up instantly. I didn't fancy a day of freezing my dangly bits off, so there was no question of me moving elsewhere.

This was purely a pike session and two rods were deployed. As with the previous week I opted for sardine and lamprey baits.


I hopped from swim to swim covering 5 in total, even trying my perceived banker swim twice. I worked hard but never had the slightest touch. Very few fish were seen topping either in the 5.5c water (I have a device to measure water temperature now - not sure of its accuracy, but the reading seems plausible).


Maybe the extra water along with cooler temperatures has had an impact? Or could this stretch be less predator friendly than it used to be (a fellow blogger only caught one jack in four visits). Or was it just my own lack of skill on this occasion?

Poachers or just plain poor anglers have certainly been on site. Beer cans, pop bottles, foreign cigarette packets, crude tackle more suited to sea fishing lying around and the inevitable shiny lure dangling from a willow.

The girls from the local rowing club entertained me for short periods. A coxless pair even managed to briefly embed themselves in the willow at the end of my swim! I should mention that none of them were engaging in their charity related activities though:

http://www.warwickrowing.org/onlinepurchasing.php?Doc=nakedcalendar



So, a blank start to the month and a cold week lies ahead. The search for a decent river pike will continue next week.

2 comments:

  1. Sean, I've also found Hopyards tough going. Doesn't really do much for me either as a venue. I did better this weekend at the Saxon Mill so I might not get rid of my Warwick book just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their TRX Australia are polished and top of array.
    One can buy authentic trx workouts and accessories from reputed stores that offer a complete range of this brand.
    You can also buy this trx australia line from online stores which makes your shopping more easy from the comfort of your home.
    So make sure you dress up this season with fashion that's filled with the hottest and latest Trx Workouts in the market.
    trx workouts is a prime American design house that specializes in a big clothesline.
    They've already created these trx Australia with the youthful, fashionable, and hip in head.
    The range is actually excellent and provides an extended type of fancy and serious TRX workouts that could be donned to any occasion for that polished everyday look.
    They have the latest in TRX Australia collection and people will discover excellent cheap deals on the products.

    ReplyDelete