Sunday 22 February 2015

Struggling

Not the best couple of weeks for my fishing. Last week saw pretty decent conditions but I made a hash of a short session. Physically I wasn't well and I've suffered for most of the past week. Mentally I was dropped into the wrong place when my boiler packed in just before I was due to leave for fishing.

The result was a scrambled session down the Leam, rescued only by a half pound perch and a pike at last knockings.


This week I've been glued to the weather forecasts and the EA river levels site. With Sunday being my only viable day, I was relieved to see a window of opportunity in the morning. A wet and windy affair was set to wipe out the afternoon.

The river level on the Avon was dropping and was just about on the limit of what I'd want. Most of the platforms were out of bounds though. The temperature was also struggling at -2C.


I baited up a slack and waited patiently for bites. It was tough going so I amused myself by feeding some robins that were demanding attention.


The swans, relishing the easier exit routes from the water, wanted some of the action too.


With nothing happening I started to take more photos.



Finally a bite and a fish on the bank. Now if I'm not mistaken there's a fair chance that it's a silver bream - a big eye and a scale count in the right ball park. It was only a few ounces though, so nothing to get too excited about, but it would be a first for me on this stretch.


I had a small roach to round off a thoroughly uneventful session and called it a day when the first spots of rain began to fall just past midday.

Next week is unsettled again and that could see the rivers struggling to shift the excess water.

4 comments:

  1. It is a silver, Sean. I caught one at Saxon Mill once, whilst roach fishing. Only the one mind! Never seen another, though Keith Jobling once had a load of them on the Lido stretch at Stratford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually that's nonsense. I've caught them in the weir at Lucy's Mill! Doh...

    Good ones too approaching a pound and also a couple of silver bream/bronze bream hybrids, one getting on for three pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the confirmation Jeff. It's funny you mention Keith's Lido catch - I'd actually remembered that myself. I couldn't recall any blogger reports of silvers further upstream though. That said, this stretch has only one weir between it and the Lido, so it's not that far removed. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their TRX Australia are polished and top of array.
    One can buy authentic trx workouts and accessories from reputed stores that offer a complete range of this brand.
    You can also buy this trx australia line from online stores which makes your shopping more easy from the comfort of your home.
    So make sure you dress up this season with fashion that's filled with the hottest and latest Trx Workouts in the market.
    trx workouts is a prime American design house that specializes in a big clothesline.
    They've already created these trx Australia with the youthful, fashionable, and hip in head.
    The range is actually excellent and provides an extended type of fancy and serious TRX workouts that could be donned to any occasion for that polished everyday look.
    They have the latest in TRX Australia collection and people will discover excellent cheap deals on the products.

    ReplyDelete